October 5, 2008

Hunter's Skateboard Cake

I did manage to find a couple of ideas about how to make a skateboard cake for my nephew. (Seriously, I don't know what I would do without google!) Here is what I came up with.






The cake is just basic white cake. I baked the cake in a rectangle pan and a circle pan. Then I cut the circle in half and put each half on the ends of the rectangle cake to make the skateboard shape. I did a layer of butter cream icing on the cake to help smooth it out and connect all the sections of the cake. Then I covered the whole cake in a layer of fondant. The designs on the cake were all cut out of fondant. Some (like the cougar paw) were as simple as using a cookie cutter. Others (like the Alabama "A" and the skateboarding brands) I had to draw on paper and use it as a template to cut them out of the fondant. I made the wheels and axles out of pirouette sticks and chocolate donuts. I covered the board that the cake is on with a thin layer of icing and put crushed up oreos and chocolate sprinkles on it so that it would like like pavement.

All in all, I think it turned out really cute and I am very proud of it!

No comments: